Update of firmware to support latest kernel ??

Support for the Uninterruptible Power Supply
with Peripherals and I2C control Interface
Raspberry Pi® B+, A+, B, and A

Update of firmware to support latest kernel ??

Postby rbuelund » Sun May 14, 2017 5:25 pm

When is this update gonna happen: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5015

??????
rbuelund

Re: Update of firmware to support latest kernel ??

Postby Pimaster » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 am

in about 3 weeks,
Just after we close the firmware for the PIco HV3.0, as it will be 90% same firmware, with similar set of features as also working with daemons.
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
Designing with Mentor Graphics PADS - www.pads.com
Please read and follow the PiForum rules
http://www.forum.pimodules.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=196
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Postby Eppo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:37 pm

I hate to say this, but experience has shown that predictions made in this forum must be taken with an enormous grain of salt.

The problem was detected/solved already in february of 2017.

At that time the developer stated:
Just to let you know we solved the problem with I2C for the kernel 4.9 on all models of the PIco old and new one. In the new ongoing firmware for HV3.0 it will be already included in the update we are releasing next days, as also in the firmware update for the HV1.1 and HV1.0. However for these models (HV1.0 and HV1.1) it will be little bit delayed as we are working on a very cumulative update of the firmware of the old models, making them similar with the new one HV3.0 (as much as possible)

Unfortunately, that little bit delayed is approaching 4 months now.

Note: There is a (temporary) workaround to get i2c communications working with the ups_pico module, but for some reason, the workaround is not posted in the forum.
Eppo

Postby Pimaster » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi,
As I explained in previous posts, we are working on release a similar in 85% firmware for the PIco HV1.1 and HV3.0, just because the micro-controller we used in the new one, is much faster, and it is 16 bits is is easy to adopt it to new realities. The same in biggest part firmware will be release for the old HV1.1. Just after we release it for the HV3.0, as you see we are still fixing parts in the HV3.0 and that is the reason of the delay. =We are really very close with the new one and soon will start releasing of the new versions.
Both firmware has been written with the same C, for more or less similar processors.
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Postby Eppo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:09 am

In your last reply you only mention the HV1.1 modules. I hope the fix also includes the HV1.0 modules, as they suffer from the same i2c issue.

I have learned to be patient: remember how long it took to convince you of the ups_pico hang issue...
Eppo

Postby Pimaster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:51 am

Hi,
The changed completely how the clocking is provided to the I2C in the new kernel, we overcome it with the new PIco HV3.0, and some tests we made also seems to solve it with the old HV1.0 and HV1.1. It is more or less the same hardware (same processor). There are many devices with problems with the new kernel, however as far I seen the I2C clocking in the new kernel is proper. Luckily we have a boot loader, so not matter at all, just matter of time. However we have planned to revert the old firmware to the new one, just after we will release it, as interrupts driven is more flexible, and use less math power resources.
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Return to UPS PIco