Version 0x32 Firmware and Manual update [completed]

Here are posted all new preliminary firmware and manual updates

Version 0x32 Firmware and Manual update [completed]

Postby Pimaster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi,

This is the 0x32 version of firmware. Just corrected the RS232 deactivation bug, so not waiting for next release and released this one. I received so many requests for that so decided to release only this correction separately. It is not delaying the "normal" resale, that will be tomorrow or after tomorrow. Just I'm receiving so many email about that so must release ASAP. BTW, it was a very deep bug, and not generated by us. It was a bug in compiler, so required a deep work (in ASM level) to fix it.

UPS PIco HV3.0 firmware 0x32 dated 10.04.2017
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxyNA ... lBYNE1EQkk

Firmware Fixes/Add on (compared to the previous version 0x31/0x30)
1. Corrected bug (generated in the 0x30/0x31) with RS232 deactivation. Now the if the RS232 is deactivated for PIco (and free for Raspberry Pi Applications) the TXD and RXD pins are HiZ and not High Level like before.
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
Designing with Mentor Graphics PADS - www.pads.com
Please read and follow the PiForum rules
http://www.forum.pimodules.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=196
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Re: Version 0x32 Firmware and Manual update [completed]

Postby sjltech.uk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi there,
Successfully upgraded from 0x31 on RPi2 and new install on RP1 A+ without any problems.
I added fans to both units and noticed something strange running the pico_status_hv3.0.py script.
At the time, the fan was running as I had deliberately set the threshold temperature low...
It showed me this output:
Code: Select all
  PIco FAN Mode.........: ERROR
  PIco FAN State........: OFF
  PIco FAN Speed........: 500.0 RPM

When I checked the status using i2cget I found that 0x6B 0x11 was set to 0x02 (Automatic) but this is not correctly handled by pico_status_hv3.0.py
I changed the fan_mode stanza thus:
def fan_mode():
   time.sleep(0.1)
   data = i2c.read_byte_data(0x6b, 0x11)
   data = data & ~(1 << 2)
   if (data == 2): <=== added this
      return "AUTO" <=== added this
   elif (data == 1): <=== changed this
      return "ENABLED"
   elif (data == 0):
      return "DISABLED"
   else:
      return "ERROR"

And that sorted the PIco FAN Mode message out correctly.
However, when I check i2cget -y 1 0x6B 0x13 this returns 0x00 even regardless of whether the fan is running or not.
The Fan LED behaves correctly (ie. comes on when the fan runs and goes off when the fan stops) but means I have no remote ability to see if the fan is (or should be) running.
I couldn't figure out what to interrogate to find out what triggered the Fan LED :(

I still have to try out the onboard serial port.

Best wishes
Simon
sjltech.uk

Postby tater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 am

Hi guys,
I haven't been on in a few weeks. Is the user manual updated yet?
Or does anyone know how the events / interrupt features work?
tater

Postby niabb » Thu May 11, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm also waiting for an updated user manual, with the correct steps to get the RTC working with Jessie...
niabb

Postby anton » Fri May 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello and thank you for offering this incredibly useful HAT! We'd like to use it in a standalone industrial product.

Our setup: UPS Pico Plus HV3.0A, Raspberry Pi 3, gold-plated reset pin installed, power is connected only to the EXT screw terminal on the UPS Pico Plus. MicroUSB is not plugged into the Raspberry Pi.
UPS PIco Firmware.....: 32
UPS PIco Bootloader...: 50
UPS PIco PCB Version..: 41

The problem arises if the Raspberry Pi due to any reason stops sending pulses on the GPIO22. In this case the UPS Pico Plus must reset the Raspberry Pi, for instance trying an FSSD first, and if it fails then by a hard-reset. But this does not happen. Instead the UPS Pico Plus goes into power saving after approx 90s and cuts the power from the Raspberry Pi. We get a dead product in the field. There is no way to wake it up remotely.

It seems that the problem is caused by a missing watchdog functionality in the HV3.0A firmware. When will the watchdog be enabled? We must deliver a batch of our product asap, but with the described problem it's actually dangerous to install the UPS Pico Plus in the product.

Another issue: please make the time before UPS Pico Plus goes into power saving configurable, and provide the possibility to disable power saving completely. The problem is that power saving cuts power from the Raspberry when only EXT power is used. However there might be a need to keep the Raspberry powered while the fssd daemon is not running for a longer period (e.g. during an OS update), or we can wish to disable the fssd daemon permanently.

If it will take long to release a firmware with the watchdog enabled, then please in the meantime make a firmware with a disabled power saving, so that the EXT power is never cut from the Raspberry, and we can at least ship the product with an installed UPS Pico Plus, and update the Pico firmware remotely afterwards.

With best regards, Anton
anton

Postby Pimaster » Tue May 16, 2017 10:44 am

Hello and thank you for offering this incredibly useful HAT! We'd like to use it in a standalone industrial product.

Hi,
Thank you for your good words

Our setup: UPS Pico Plus HV3.0A, Raspberry Pi 3, gold-plated reset pin installed, power is connected only to the EXT screw terminal on the UPS Pico Plus. MicroUSB is not plugged into the Raspberry Pi.
UPS PIco Firmware.....: 32
UPS PIco Bootloader...: 50
UPS PIco PCB Version..: 41

OK

The problem arises if the Raspberry Pi due to any reason stops sending pulses on the GPIO22. In this case the UPS Pico Plus must reset the Raspberry Pi, for instance trying an FSSD first, and if it fails then by a hard-reset. But this does not happen. Instead the UPS Pico Plus goes into power saving after approx 90s and cuts the power from the Raspberry Pi. We get a dead product in the field. There is no way to wake it up remotely.

Yes, you are absolutely right. However it is already included in this ongoing firmware update 0x35, and it is exactly as you described, first is trying to make FSSD and if fails doing to hard reset. Nam of this functionality is STA, and means STill Alive. We planned to release it yesterday, but last minute stopped it, due to some bugs indicated in the state machine of the RTC scheduler. It is extremely complicated State Machine and spent a very long time to fix it and have it working as we specified. We expect that will be release in next 1-2 days, including STA functionality and many other options.

BTW. There is a watch dog in the firmware, but it is protecting the firmware of the UPS PIco HV3.0, and it is set to 16 seconds, so if for any reason firmware hang up (never happens until now) it will be automatically reset after 16 seconds. You can see it, when request bootloader, and do nothing (no upload) for more than 16 seconds, then system will reset and return to normal firmware execution.

In the new update, there is also activated new functionality that allows you to change I2C addresses that communicate with Raspberry Pi.

It seems that the problem is caused by a missing watchdog functionality in the HV3.0A firmware. When will the watchdog be enabled? We must deliver a batch of our product asap, but with the described problem it's actually dangerous to install the UPS Pico Plus in the product.

Please be patient 1-2 days for the 0x35, we are working under huge pressure.

Another issue: please make the time before UPS Pico Plus goes into power saving configurable, and provide the possibility to disable power saving completely. The problem is that power saving cuts power from the Raspberry when only EXT power is used. However there might be a need to keep the Raspberry powered while the fssd daemon is not running for a longer period (e.g. during an OS update), or we can wish to disable the fssd daemon permanently.

Good remark, I will and try to include it to this 0x35, was not imagine that. Not so difficult to do.

If it will take long to release a firmware with the watchdog enabled, then please in the meantime make a firmware with a disabled power saving, so that the EXT power is never cut from the Raspberry, and we can at least ship the product with an installed UPS Pico Plus, and update the Pico firmware remotely afterwards.

OK, I will
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Postby dreamspy » Tue May 23, 2017 2:08 am

I'm getting an error when I try to upgrade the firmware:

pi@raspberrypi:~/projects/UPSPIco/0x32_UPS_PIco_HV3.0_main $ sudo i2cset -y 1 0x6b 0x00 0xff
pi@raspberrypi:~/projects/UPSPIco/0x32_UPS_PIco_HV3.0_main $ sudo python 9600_picofuHV3.0.py -v -f UPS_PIco_HV3.0_main.hex
Validating firmware: OK
Checking communication with bootloader: KO
ERROR: Failed to establish communication with bootloader in PIco. Is the PIco in the bootloader mode? (Red LED lid on PIco)

This is on a new Rasbian system, with UPS installed according to
https://github.com/modmypi/PiModules/wi ... stallation

I'm using the firmware update guide:
https://github.com/modmypi/PiModules/wi ... are-Update.

The orange light started flashing before I ran the picofu script. Always get the same error even when the orange led is not flashing. I've also tried using manual mode by pressing the UR and F buttons. I also checked that the serial device exists (the file at least). It's at /dev/ttyAMA0

I also tried checking if the serial port was busy by running
fuser -v /dev/ttyAMA0

That command didn't output anything, so I assume that the serial port was free.

Any ideas?

regards
Frímann
dreamspy

Postby photisss » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:09 pm

I think you have a great product here. I'm new to this and not much of an electronics guy, afraid to admit. Have been sitting for weeks on 2 new UPS Pico HV3.0A PLUS, one in a Raspberry Pi 3, another in a 2B and would like to know how to update the firmware, based on unambiguous instructions. I've been searching all over the place and my head is spinning because of the contradictory advice I read. Will we someday have an updated manual? One that describes the latest hardware and software? Please? I don't even care which version it is, as long as the hardware and the software are accurately and unambiguously described in the manual. Thank you.
Ας μην ξεχάσουμε ποτέ να ενημερώσουμε το εγχειρίδιο
1 RPi B+ - UPS Pico HV30 Plus 450mAh
1 RPi 3 B - UPS Pico HV30 Plus 4000mAh
2 RPi 2 B
photisss

Postby Pimaster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Yes, we are working on this my Greek friend ;-)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxyNAWdHZ1PocS1tNmJ2MlR2Qk0
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Return to UPS PIco HV3.0 Firmware and Manual Updates